Smoking is a difficult habit to break, but it is possible and the most important change you will ever make in your life. There are several treatment options available to help people quit smoking:
- Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT): This is a treatment that involves the use of nicotine patches, gum, lozenges, inhaler, or nasal spray. These products contain nicotine that can help reduce the withdrawal symptoms associated with quitting smoking.
- Medications: There are prescription medications that can help reduce the cravings and withdrawal symptoms associated with quitting smoking. Some of the commonly used medications include Bupropion and Varenicline.
- Behavioral Therapy: This type of treatment helps people identify their triggers and develop coping strategies to deal with them. It can be done individually or in a group setting.
- Combination Therapy: This involves using two or more treatments together, such as NRT and medication, to increase the chances of quitting smoking.
- Alternative Therapies: There are several alternative therapies that can help people quit smoking, such as acupuncture, hypnosis, and yoga.
- Nicotine vaping therapy can also be considered as a treatment option for smoking cessation. It involves using electronic cigarettes or vaping devices that deliver nicotine to the body. Vaping has become a popular alternative to smoking, as it does not involve burning tobacco and producing harmful chemicals. Nicotine vaping therapy can be done using different types of devices, such as vape pens, mods, and pod systems. The e-liquids used in these devices come in different flavors and nicotine strengths, allowing users to gradually reduce their nicotine intake over time. It is important to note that while vaping is considered to be less harmful than smoking, it is not completely risk-free. The long-term effects of vaping are still unknown. Therefore, it is recommended to use vaping as a temporary tool to quit smoking, and to gradually reduce nicotine intake over time until being nicotine-free. It is also important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any nicotine vaping therapy. Nicotine vaping prescriptions require a prescription from an Authorised Nicotine prescriber to access vaping products stocked in many Australian pharmacies.
The Quitmate program has been designed to help you quit smoking, with a group of doctors and support staff available every step of the way. Quitting smoking is a process and usually requires multiple attempts and professional support. It’s okay if you have tried to quit smoking and have been unsuccessful. That’s normal. Our doctors understand the journey you need to take for you to quit smoking for good. Understanding how to deal with cravings, how to deal with high-risk triggers for smoking and choosing the right nicotine replacement products are important parts of our support and education program.
If you have tried to quit smoking in the past and have been unsuccessful and prefer e-cigarettes and nicotine vaping products as part of your plan, online vaping prescriptions may be available.